Biochemistry is no longer a specialty subject but is part of the core of knowledge for modern biologists and chemists. In addition, familiarity with biochemical principles has become an increasingly valuable component of medical education. Fundamentals of Biochemistry: Life at the Molecular Level
- Prosthodontic Treatment for Edentulous Patients by Zarb 12th Edition PDF
- First Aid for the USMLE Step 2 CK (2019), 10th Edition Free
- Morgan & Mikhail’s Clinical Anesthesiology Cases 1st edition 2020
- Surgical and Medical Treatment of Osteoporosis: Principles and Practice 1st Edition 2020
- Can wearing masks really reduce Covid-19 transmission?
In revising this textbook, we asked, “Can we provide students with a solid foundation in biochemistry, along with the problem-solving skills to use what they know? We concluded that it is more important than ever to meet the expectations of a standard biochemistry curriculum, to connect biological chemistry to its chemical roots, and to explore the ways that biochemistry can explain human health and disease.
We also wanted to provide students with opportunities to develop the practical skills that they will need to meet the scientifi c and clinical challenges of the future. This revised version of Fundamentals of Biochemistry continues to focus on basic principles while taking advantage of new tools for fostering student understanding. Because we believe that students learn through constant questioning, this edition features expanded problem sets, additional questions within the text, and extensive online resources for assessment. As in previous editions, we have strived to provide our students with a textbook that is complete, clearly written, and relevant. Fundamentals of Biochemistry: Life at the Molecular Level
New for the Fifth Edition
The fifth edition of Fundamentals of Biochemistry includes signifi cant changes and updates to the contents. In recognition of the tremendous advances in biochemistry, we have added new information about prion diseases, trans fats, membrane transporters, signal transduction pathways, mitochondrial respiratory complexes, photosynthesis, nitrogen fi xation, nucleotide synthesis, chromatin structure, and the machinery of DNA replication, transcription, and protein synthesis. New experimental approaches for studying complex systems are introduced, including next generation DNA sequencing techniques, cryo-electron microscopy, metabolomics, genome editing with the CRISPR–Cas9 system, and the role of noncoding RNAs in gene regulation. Notes on a variety of human diseases and pharmacological eff ectors have been expanded to refl ect recent research fi ndings. Fundamentals of Biochemistry: Life at the Molecular Level
As in the previous four editions of Fundamentals of Biochemistry, we have given signifi cant thought to the pedagogy within the text and have concentrated on fi ne-tuning and adding new elements to promote student learning. Pedagogical enhancements in this fi fth edition include the following:
• Gateway Concepts. Short statements placed in the margin to summarize some of the general concepts that underpin modern biochemistry, such as Evolution, Macromolecular Structure/Function, Matter/Energy Transformation, and Homeostasis. These reminders help students develop a richer understanding as they place new information in the context of what they have encountered in other coursework.
• Sample Calculation Videos within WileyPLUS Learning Space. Students come to biochemistry with diff erent levels of math skills. These embedded videos, created by Charlotte Pratt, walk students through the Sample Calculations provided for key equations throughout the text.
• Animated Process Diagrams in WileyPLUS Learning Space. The many Process Diagrams in the text have each been broken down into discrete steps that students can navigate at their desired pace. Fundamentals of Biochemistry: Life at the Molecular Level
• Brief Bioinformatics Exercises in WileyPLUS Learning Space. A series of 74 short, assessable, and content-specifi c bioinformatics projects (at least two per chapter) by Rakesh Mogul, Cal Poly Pomona. They introduce students to the rich variety of biochemical information available over the Internet and show them how to mine this information, thereby illuminating the connections between theory and applied biochemistry and stimulating student interest and profi ciency in the subject. Fundamentals of Biochemistry: Life at the Molecular Level
• Focus on evolution. An evolutionary tree icon marks passages in the text that illuminate examples of evolution at the biochemical level.
• Reorganized and Expanded Problem Sets. End-of-chapter problems are now divided into two categories so that students and instructors can better assess lower- and higher-order engagement: Exercises allow students to check their basic understanding of concepts and apply them in straightforward problem solving. Challenge Questions require more advanced skills and/or the ability to make connections between topics. Fundamentals of Biochemistry: Life at the Molecular Level
The fifth edition contains nearly 1000 problems, an increase of 26% over the previous edition. Most of the problems are arranged as successive pairs that address the same or related topics. Complete solutions to the odd-numbered problems are included in an appendix for quick feedback. (www.wiley.com/college/voet). Complete solutions to both odd- and even-numbered problems are available in the Student Companion to Accompany Fundamentals of Biochemistry, Fifth Edition
PDF Free Download: Fundamentals of Biochemistry: Life at the Molecular Level – 2016